- Item 73116 - Portland Water District intake house, Sebago Lake, ca. 1924
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 73116
- 4415px x 3365px - 14.7"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
This photo was taken during Portland Water District's construction of the new intake and conduit from Sebago Lake and appeared in the Portland Evening Express & Advertiser on December 9, 1924.Show Details
The original gate and screen house, built in 1869 by the Portland Water Company, had been in use for 55 years but was not low enough to provide water to Portland in the event of another great fire. To remedy this, a new intake house, pictured here, was built.
Water passed through the intake house and was screened before entering the tunnel pipe line on its way to Portland.