- Item 73081 - Water pipes, Sebago Lake, ca. 1924
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 73081
- 4355px x 3368px - 14.5"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
In 1924 the Portland Water District set to work to construct a new intake and conduit to replace the original gate and screen house built in 1869 by the Portland Water Company.Show Details
The pipes pictured here were constructed under the direction of the Lock-Joint Pipe Company using steel hoops, steel netting, and concrete.
Each pipe was 12 feet long and 54 inches in diameter, and weighed 6 ½ tons. A total of 249 pipes were needed for the extension of a pipeline into Sebago Lake.