Item 68655 - Main Street, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1935
- Item 68655 - Main Street, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1935
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 68655
- 3320px x 2096px - 11.1"w x 7.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
Northeast Harbor’s Main Street was first developed from resident Daniel Kimball’s pasture into the town center from 1880 to 1890. The village grew throughout the end of the 19th century and into the 20th century with the establishment of hotels, shops, stables, recreational facilities, offices, other businesses, and public buildings. Early buildings and businesses included a shoemaker’s shop, blacksmith, drugstore, plumbing shop, laundry shop and various clothing businesses and dry goods/food markets. Wooden sidewalks were constructed along Main Street in 1904. Many of the buildings were transformed during the 1920s as business expanded rapidly, though a number of the hotels and stores that thrived at this time closed during the Great Depression.Show Details
The caption reads, "Main St., North East Harbor, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1930-1945.