- Item 6812 - 5th Infantry, Portland, 1927
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 6812
- 3441px x 4459px - 11.5"w x 14.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The 5th Infantry was notable for its record in small arms firing. During 1924, three years before this photo was taken, the 5th Infantry rifle qualification was 99.49 percent, machine gun 94.30 percent and 100 percent mortars and 37 mm.Show Details
The 5th Infantry was stationed at Portland from 1922-1940. Fort Williams served as headquarters and the soldiers were billeted there, at Fort Preble and Fort McKinley in Portland Harbor. Except for short absences on field training and minor shifts within the regiment, the disposition remained substantially unchanged for seventeen years.