- Item 6780 - 5th Infantry band, 1927
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 6780
- 4488px x 3478px - 15.0"w x 11.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The 5th Infantry was stationed at Portland, Maine from 1922-1940. Fort Williams served as headquarters and the soldiers were billeted there, at Fort Preble and Fort McKinley in Portland Harbor. Except for short absences on field training and minor shifts within the regiment, the disposition remained substantially unchanged for seventeen years. Three years before this photograph, in 1924, the 5th Infantry band participated in the first radio show ever broadcast from Portland, Maine.Show Details