- Item 66586 - Machias, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 66586
- 3284px x 2107px - 10.9"w x 7.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
Though settlers first began going to Machias in 1633, it was not firmly settled until 1753. The name Machias comes from the Passamaquoddy meaning bad little falls, which refers to the Machias River.Show Details
Machais is perhaps best known as the location of the first naval battle of the American Revolutionary War. But, by the 19th century Machias had built up a booming mill industryin mostly wood, but there was also several ship yards,an iron foundry and machine-shop, two grain mills, a carding-mill, canned-food factories, carriage-factories, sail-loft, two printing establishments, a tow-boat company, and a silver mining company.
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938 as part of their Maine series. These, and other postcards, by the Tichnor Brothers Company are officially known as the Tichnor Gloss Series because the photographs were notoriously retouched on such a level that does not allow the postcards to be classified as photographs or paintings. The caption reads, "Entering Machias from Normal School Hill, Machias, Maine."