Item 6565 - Samoset Hotel, Rockport, ca. 1930
- Item 6565 - Samoset Hotel, Rockport, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 6565
- 4726px x 2948px - 15.8"w x 9.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Bay Point Hotel, owned by Francis Cobb II, opened on July 4th, 1889.Show Details
In 1902, the Ricker family, owners and operators of the Poland Spring Hotel, bought the property and embellished the L-shaped building with turrets, porches, and gingerbread decoration.
Hiram Ricker renamed the hotel "The Samoset," after the Pemaquid chief who was among the first people to greet Europeans.
In 1911 the Maine Central Railroad acquired the hotel. The hotel closed in 1969 and burned completely on October 13, 1972.
A new Samoset was built in 1978.