Item 6560 - Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston

Item 6560 - Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston
Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
Item 6560
Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes, Lewiston
Zoom
4511px x 3203px - 15.0"w x 10.7"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Androscoggin Historical Society
Image Info

Augusta Harness and Damaged Shoes business in Lewiston. The corner of the building has two street signs, Lowell Street and Bates Street.

Back of photo has writing "Papa's store in Bates & 218 Main Street, Lewiston, Maine. Still a shoe store in 1967. William A. Bailey, Shoe Store about 1895. Also in the same building was Lee Wah Laundry."

From 1894 to the mid-1960s this building was occupied by the Prince Shoe Store, 30 Bates Street, Lewiston. According to Maine Magazine in 1907, p. 76, C. L. Prince maintained low overhead costs and "deals in sample and job lots and slightly damaged shoes, which are invariably most excellent value for the money."

This appears to be one of the oldest commercial buildings in Lewiston.

Show Details