- Item 6538 - Lisbon Street, Lewiston, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Androscoggin Historical Society
- Item 6538
- 4496px x 3139px - 15.0"w x 10.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Androscoggin Historical Society
View of Lisbon Street from the corner of Main in Lewiston. Lisbon Street became the main commercial center of the city.Show Details
A sign for Island Garden Theatre Performance is visible. Other visible businesses include Chas A. Abbott Central Drug Store, and Dr. Bonney, Dentist.
The building on the corner at left is Central Block, which housed city offices until construction of a city building in 1871. The building beyond Central Block is Journal Block, which housed the newspaper
The building on the corner at right was constructed in 1853 as the First Baptist Church. After 1870 it was used briefly by other congregations. Eventually the building became commercial space, including a casino, until it was razed in 1901.