- Item 6277 - Abyssinian Church, Portland, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 6277
- 3740px x 4586px - 12.5"w x 15.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
The Abyssinian Church at the corner of Mountfort and Newbury streets, established in 1828, served as the spiritual, geographic and social center for Portland's African-American community.Show Details
In 1900 antiquarian Charles Q. Goodhue put memory to paper in this sketch of the Abyssinian Church as it appeared before the Civil War. The church was in use until 1916.
Green Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church on Sheridan Street carried forward the 19th century legacy of service and community.