- Item 58323 - Copy of Surry and Ellsworth map, ca. 1880
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 58323
- 6377px x 7243px - 21.3"w x 24.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
A copy from an early map of Surry and Ellsworth shows lot numbers and landowners' names. Both Surry and Ellsworth were incorporated ca. 1803. This copy was made in 1880, but shows the towns as they were in the early days of incorporation.Show Details
In 1789 Leonard Jarvis was commissioned to mete out land settled after 1784 in Township No. 6 (Surry and Ellsworth) and to sell the remainder. Jarvis and his family bought up most of the land here, becoming one of the largest landowners in Maine, after the Bingham estate.