Item 41818 - Gould House, Biddeford, 1953

Item 41818 - Gould House, Biddeford, 1953
Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Item 41818
Gould House, Biddeford, 1953
4419px x 3244px - 14.7"w x 10.8"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
Image Info

Built in 1829 at 136 Alfred Street, this house was the second brick house built in Biddeford. It was built by Charles F. Gould, farmer, when the location was considered remote from the center of town. Alfred Street had just been cut through, and Birch Street was not even planned. The section was long known as "Gould's Hill." This house was occupied by Charles F. Gould from 1829 to his death in 1861. His son, Charles O. Gould, also was born in this house and lived in it until his death in 1917. Members of the Gould family (both male and female) were prominent in local business and educational affairs.

Show Details