- Item 35390 - Crucifix belonging to Father John Bapst, ca. 1850
- Contributed by John Bapst Memorial High School
- Item 35390
- 678px x 1828px - 2.3"w x 6.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of John Bapst Memorial High School
This crucifix is made of wood. The statue of Jesus on the cross is carved wood and painted. The three-block stand and the carved "nails" holding the figure on the cross are also of wood.Show Details
An index card received with the crucifix contains the following information:
This was Father John Bapst's crucifix. It is considered to be a piece of Mexican sculpture. Father Bapst used it over the tabernacle of the old Saint Michael's Church on Court Street. When he built Saint John's Church on York Street he gave the crucifix to Herbert Bleakley's grandmother, Mrs. Welch. The crucifix was donated at some time to John Bapst High School by the family of Mrs. Welch.
Later research suggested that the crucifix could have been French or Native American in origin. In a reference to the crucifix in an article about Father John Bapst, it was noted that it was made for Father John Bapst by Indians of Indian Island - Old Town, Maine.