- Item 33802 - Guilford Center Schoolhouse, ca. 1895
- Contributed by Guilford Historical Society
- Item 33802
- 4816px x 3119px - 16.1"w x 10.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Guilford Historical Society
In 1818 the first school building was erected at what is now Guilford Center. It served also as Town Hall and a Meeting House. It was built of logs and had an open fireplace. The children were accustomed to bring corn cakes and potatoes, which were placed in the ashes of the fireplace at ten o'clock to cook for lunch. The building was destroyed by fire in 1825. The photograph shown here was the school house built in 1895 in Guilford Center. It was later the home of Thornton and Marguerite Bennett, and is still a private residence today.Show Details