Item 33733 - Can Plant, North Lubec, ca. 1900

Item 33733 - Can Plant, North Lubec, ca. 1900
Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Item 33733
Can Plant, North Lubec, ca. 1900
Zoom
4300px x 3329px - 14.3"w x 11.1"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
Image Info

For the first quarter century of the business of canning fish, sardines were packed in three-piece cans, cut and soldered by hand. The mass produced one-piece drawn can was introduced at the very end of the 19th century. The American Can Company built this plant in North Lubec in 1899. It burned in April, 1907, and the company rebuilt in the village.

Show Details