- Item 33656 - Dr. Philip Haigis, Scarborough, ca. 1960
- Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
- Item 33656
- 3005px x 4572px - 10.0"w x 15.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Dr. Philip Haigis and his wife Faith Stone arrived in Scarborough in 1944. He was the only physician in town in the early years. His office and home were located in what was then the corner of Scottow Hill Road. He had office hours seven days a week, made house calls and was affiliated with the Osteopathic Hospital of Portland.Show Details
Since Dr. Haigis often responded to serious accidents in town he realized an ambulance and a better method of serving the victims were needed. In 1951 he asked the newly formed Scarborough Lions Club to finance and outfit an ambulance for the town. This ambulance was the beginning of the first municipal rescue service in Maine.
Amongst his many duties he was also the official town physician and served the Scarborough Schools for thirty years beginning in 1945. Conversation with the older residents of town reveals that Dr. Haigis was a much loved and well respected physician.