- Item 33493 - Mill Island Causeway, Blue Hill, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
- Item 33493
- 4845px x 3017px - 16.1"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Blue Hill Historical Society
A view across the causeway linking Mill Island to the road toward central Blue Hill village. Mill Island lies astride the outlet from the Salt Pond into upper Blue Hill Bay and was the site of the first settlement at Blue Hill. Two tide mills, one named "Endeavor," were built near the causeway when the town was founded but are no longer standing. The house with chimney at far left was built in 1833 by Benjamin Clay and was later the home of the Captain Samuel Eaton family and the Phineas Dodge family. It is no longer standing.Show Details