- Item 31875 - Main Street from Pleasant Street, Lubec, ca. 1905
- Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
- Item 31875
- 4710px x 3034px - 15.7"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
This view looks up Main Street from near the crossing of Pleasant Street. Water Street and the Lubec business area are behind the camera. The George Mowry house to the right was moved later in the 20th century. The Masonic Lodge beyond, with the star in a round stained gable window, remains in regular use in 2010. To the left is Monument Lot, with the Soldier’s statue readily visible. The statue was erected in 1904.Show Details
The photograph appears on an undivided back postcard, a style replaced in March, 1907 (before summer tree leafing), with divided back postcards. Hence the date must be between 1904 and 1906. The large trees do not appear in somewhat later photographs of Monument Lot, such as those taken during the July 4 1911 Centennial Celebration. Note the fire hydrant adjacent to the utility pole just beyond the trees. There is a sign reading “Comstock House” on a dark pole at the left of the statuary feet.