- Item 31708 - Oak Hill Railroad Station and Peterson's Grain Store, Scarborough, ca. 1905
- Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
- Item 31708
- 4584px x 3054px - 15.3"w x 10.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
The Oak Hill Railroad Station was Scarborough's first. The Portland, Saco, and Portsmouth Railroad was a subsidiary of the Eastern Railroad Company. It began operations in 1842 and was Portland's first rail link to Boston, Massachusetts and points south. It joined the Boston and Maine Railroad at South Berwick.Show Details
In the picture to the left are William Peterson, his two children and their dog. He had recently purchased the store. The year is 1905. William Peterson had made an apartment on the second floor for his family to live. The second floor had previously been used for gatherings of all types. The grain store outlasted the railroad station by forty years.
Also in the picture is Station Master, Fred Walker and several unidentified workers.