- Item 31522 - Prince Memorial Library, Cumberland, ca. 1955
- Contributed by Prince Memorial Library
- Item 31522
- 4310px x 3367px - 14.4"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Prince Memorial Library
The original brick Prince Memorial Library building, showing the front entrance and south-west side. It was dedicated Jan. 7, 1923.Show Details
The Prince Memorial Library Corporation was established in November 1921 in consequence of a bequest from Carroll D. and Annie L. Prince to erect and maintain a library in Cumberland.
Mr. Prince was a native of Cumberland, the only son of Captain Meaubec and Susan Buxton Prince. He was one of the earliest students at Greely Institute.
They left $35,000 to the town for a library to be known as Prince Memorial Library; $20,000 to be used for the erection and equipment of the building, and the remaining $15,000 to be kept as a maintenance fund.
The architect was George C. Emery of Boston. A building of Georgian Colonial style was erected.
The front doorway was copied from one in Old Hemsted, England. The land for the Library site was given by Dr. John B. Thomes and his wife Maude Merrill Thomes of Pittsfield, Massachusetts.
The building was constructed of water-struck brick, with Hallowell granite trim and slate roof.