- Item 31281 - View from Campobello Island, ca. 1895
- Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
- Item 31281
- 4710px x 3039px - 15.7"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
By the end of the 19th century Lubec had become a bustling fishing community with a busy working waterfront. The rock Lubec Breakwater is easily seen projecting straight from the Lubec shore toward the spit of Campobello land on which Mulholland Lighthouse stands. In the far distance is North Lubec. Note the vessel between these, apparently the Lubec/Eastport/Campobello steamboat ferry, which began service in 1882. The highest structure above the village is the Congregational Church steeple; to its left, the old school building, its bell tower prominent. Below the church steeple and closer is the multistory many-windowed inn known at different times as the American and Merchants Hotel. To its right through the trees is the light-colored Masonic Lodge, identifiable by the round stained glass window centered on its gable. The Congregational Church and the Masonic Lodge rermain in use as of 2010.Show Details