- Item 30216 - North Yarmouth Walnut Hill store, ca. 1876
- Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
- Item 30216
- 10145px x 7484px - 33.8"w x 24.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of North Yarmouth Historical Society
This is the earliest known view of North Yarmouth’s Walnut Hill village store. It was erected in 1853 as the Union Store, a cooperative enterprise owned by 14 local men. In 1861 the building passed to Isaac S. Stanwood, who ran a general store here; he also served as the Walnut Hill postmaster. His name is clearly visible in the photo. Stanwood died in 1892 since then a variety of owners continued to operate a general store/farm supply here. In 1965 a lunch counter was added and in 1975 it became a restaurant exclusively.Show Details