- Item 29370 - Pepperell Mills boarding houses, Biddeford, ca. 1875
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 29370
- 5403px x 2833px - 18.0"w x 9.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
A stereo-card view of the Pepperell Mills boarding houses, Biddeford, ca. 1875. Built in 1848, there were 16 boarding houses in the row, with 135 rooms in the entire block.Show Details
The boarding house blocks were located at the corner of Lincoln and Pearl Streets, in the heart of the downtown. This view is east on Pearl Street, looking across Lincoln toward Smith Street. Workers who lived there only had to cross the street to arrive at work, and the shops and amenities of Main Street were a block away.
These blocks were demolished in 1909 to make way for new cotton warehouses for the mills.