- Item 29355 - 'Delia Chapin' construction, Dunstan Landing, Scarborough, 1847
- Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
- Item 29355
- 4425px x 3263px - 14.8"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
The Delia Chapin, built by Major John Waterhouse, was the last vessel to be built at the Dunstan Landing shipyard.Show Details
The Delia Chapin was launched in October 1847 as a hull only. The recently added drawbridge over the Scarborough River, to accommodate the new railroad, was too narrow for finished vessels to pass through.
The Delia Chapin was beached by gale winds before it made it to Portland for its masts and rigging. It was eventually repaired and completed for service.