- Item 29344 - E.G. Williams Shoe Repair Shop, Blue Hill, ca. 1915
- Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
- Item 29344
- 4535px x 3278px - 15.1"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Blue Hill Historical Society
The E.G. Williams Shoe Repair building on Main Street was moved from the east side of the Copper and Gold Exchange to the west side around 1900. By 1915 E.G. Williams had a boot and shoe repair shop on the premises. In the window, a poster announces that there is to be a Democratic Rally on August 30th, the Honorable Charles E. Johnson to speak. A hay wagon stands in the yard behind on the right. At some time after 1915, the building was enlarged to double its size but Williams continued to repair shoes there until 1918. In 1960, there were still over 80,000 shoe repair shops in the United States; now there are less than 7500 nationwide.Show Details