- Item 29343 - Sawmill at Mill Stream, Blue Hill, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
- Item 29343
- 4120px x 3634px - 13.7"w x 12.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Blue Hill Historical Society
A sawmill stood on one side or the other of the outlet of Mill Stream from 1790 until 1939. The Wescott Blacksmith Shop can be see across the dam and Main Street. To a large extent, sawmills defined the early history of Blue Hill by producing wood products from local natural resources for the settlers to build their dwellings and their sailing vessels for shipping out staves, shooks and boards to trade for manufactured goods. For many years, the sawmills ran by water power, when there was sufficient flow, but in the last years a gasoline engine often supplied power and light to work by.Show Details