- Item 29330 - Lumber piled on town wharf, Blue Hill, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
- Item 29330
- 4428px x 2622px - 14.8"w x 8.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Blue Hill Historical Society
View of Blue Village from the present site of Blue Hill Hospital looks across piles of lumber at the town wharf with the steeple of the First Baptist Church and Blue Hill Mountain in the background. Lumber was a major export of Blue Hill in the 1800s. Annie Clough* wrote: "...in the village, hundreds and thousands of cords of wood, hemlock bark, and other forest (and farm) products were piled on the town landing ready for shipment each year." Some of the cordwood was shipped in vessels to fire the lime kilns in Thomaston.Show Details
* Clough, Annie L.: Head of the Bay, first printing Elm Tree Press, Woodstock, Vermont, 1953; reprinted Blue Hill Historical Society, Blue Hill, Maine, 2006