- Item 29062 - City Opera House stage, Biddeford, ca. 1890
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 29062
- 4526px x 2611px - 15.1"w x 8.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
The City Opera House was located on the second floor of Biddeford's City Building, built in 1860 in place of the burned-down Central Block. It was a grand brick building, built in the Italianate style, just five years after Biddeford had attained cityhood. The stage of the Opera House was 50 feet wide, with rigging of 24 feet, and the auditorium sat 1000. The Opera House's grand opening was on October 20, 1860, with a staging of the play "The Octoroon". The building burned to the ground on December 31, 1894.Show Details