- Item 29004 - W.G. Webber Drugstore Trade Card, Bath, ca. 1895
- Contributed by Patten Free Library
- Item 29004
- 2947px x 4896px - 9.8"w x 16.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Patten Free Library
This trade card adverstising Walter G. Webber's Drugstore was probably made in the late 1890s. Trade cards were small advertisements used by businesses to remind customers to shop at their stores again. Trade cards evolved into modern business cards in the 1900s. Many Bath businesses used this form of advertisement in the late 19th century.Show Details
Walter G. Webber (1848-1906), a prominent druggist in Bath, owned Webber's Drugstore from 1875-1906. From 1875 to 1883, his first store was located on the east side of Front St., opposite Elm St. For the next 50 years, Webber's Drugstore was located in the Union Block, at 94 Front Street. At that location, the store was damaged by the disastrous fire of 1894 that destroyed the Sagadahock House just to the south on the same side of Front Street. After Walter Webber's death in 1906, the business was managed by Walter's estate until the business was purchased by Merton Webber (no known relation to Walter Webber) in 1912. The business remained at 94 Front Street until 1933, when Merton Webber moved the store to 194 Front Street, going out of business permanently in 1939.