- Item 27973 - Fales Edgarton House, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27973
- 3563px x 3990px - 11.9"w x 13.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
This is believed to be one of the oldest houses in town, if not the oldest. It was built in 1786 and was first the home of David Fales, Jr.Show Details
Otis Edgarton (b. 1797) came to Thomaston from Lancaster, Massachusetts, about 1819 and in 1823 married Mary H. Fales (1799-1861), David's daughter. He was employed in the marble mill on Mill River at Crick Village, and he and Mary raised their family here before it was sold to a Hastings family from Warren.
The home was owned by two Fernald sisters in the early 20th century and ever since, has been known as the Fernald House. The house still stands at 59 High Street.
In the early days, this house had a fine view looking down the Georges River from its high position on the hill above the Mill River.