- Item 27844 - Schooner Nancy Hanks, Thomaston, ca. 1918
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27844
- 4281px x 3369px - 14.3"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
In 1917 the 4-masted schooner Nancy Hanks, 1162 tons, was built by George Gilchrest in the Dunn and Elliot shipyard on Water Street. In this photograph, the schooner is secured to the Dunn and Elliot Wharf at the foot of Wadsworth Street, now owned by the Lyman Morse Boatbuilding Co. The Maine State Prison may be seen on the hill behind the vessel.Show Details
When shipyard owners were not building a ship, they often leased to independent shipbuilders. Gilchrest leased the Dunn and Elliot Yard on Water Street in which to build the Nancy Hanks. Dunn and Elliot did not renew his lease in 1918 because they were scheduled to build the schooner Margaret Throop, so Gilchrist secured the former O'Brien shipyard in which to build the steamer Utoka for the United States Shipping Board.