- Item 27834 - Schooner Henry J. Smith, Thomaston, 1890
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27834
- 4378px x 3150px - 14.6"w x 10.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
The four-master schooner Henry J. Smith, 1108 tons, was built at the Washburn Brothers Shipyard by Newell E. Vinal in 1890.Show Details
Newall E. Vinal was master builder for the Washburn Brothers when they started the business in 1887. The Washburn Brothers fleet was sold to Crowell and Thurlow of Boston in 1911. It was managed by Will Washburn in Thomaston with Ira Vinal as master carpenter. Seven schooners were built between 1917-1920.