Item 27823 - Toll Bridge, Thomaston, 1870
- Item 27823 - Toll Bridge, Thomaston, 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27823
- 4195px x 3309px - 14.0"w x 11.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
Toll Bridge over the Georges River at the foot of Wadsworth Street, Thomaston.Show Details
The building and wharf in the foreground were part of the O’Brien Burgess Shipyard. The kilnsheds above the bridge also belonged to O’Brien and Burgess.
The white store just to the right of center was for many years the Burgess O'Brien Store. Later it was the Dunn and Elliot store until it was torn down in recent years to make way for what is now the Waterfront Market.
A blacksmith shop stands on the right after crossing the bridge.
None of these buildings remain along the Georges River waterfront.
The house between the store and the blacksmith shop was the old Thomas Vose house. Captain Thomas Vose, a Revolutionary War artillery commander, served under Major General Henry Knox. He came from Milton, MA to fence out the Fort farm and acted as Knox's agent during the construction of Montpelier. Vose operated a store on Vose's Wharf, now part of the Lyman Morse boat yard east (or right) of the bridge.