- Item 27755 - S. E. Spring at Factory Island Wharf, ca. 1885
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 27755
- 3837px x 2470px - 12.8"w x 8.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
This excursion sidewheeler steamer is docked at Factory Island Wharf. The York mills are in the background at the left, and to the right is the Cutts Mansion. The steamer ran on the Saco River from Factory Island to Camp Ellis, then Biddeford Pool.Show Details
The S. E. Spring was launched July 1, 1881, at the George Russell yard at East Deering. Gross tons: 154.83, net tons, 83.56; 93.7 ft. x 19 ft. x 4.8 ft. One deck, round stern, a plain head. Her first captain was Daniel Goldthwait who brought her down from Portland to Saco. At the end of the 1890 tourist season, the excursions ended. She was run by the Old Orchard Steamboat Company.
Alongside the S.E. Spring is a three-masted schooner.