- Item 27193 - Elm Street, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27193
- 4203px x 3323px - 14.0"w x 11.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
This early view looking north on Elm Street shows the Blood House at the corner where the street bends to the east.Show Details
In 1844 Ezekiel Blood purchased the lot on which the previous house, built by David Piper, was burned to the ground in 1836. Ezekiel, a joiner, built his house within the same year of his land purchase.
The house is a fine well-proportioned Greek Revial one and a half storey structure with grand full-length windows in the front. A full porch supported by four columns extends across the full front width of the house. Four rooms flank a center hall with an added ell extending behind the building.
In 1866 shares for the property were purchsed by Congregational Church members, and for many years, the house was used as a church parsonage. Rev. J. K. Mason was the first clergyman to occupy the home.