- Item 27186 - After the Prison Fire, Thomaston, 1923
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27186
- 4410px x 3195px - 14.7"w x 10.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
This view shows the ruins of the former Maine State Prison on September 15, 1923. Burned out buildings surround the old limestone quarry, where prisoners learned the term "hard labor" for so many years. There was no disorder and none of the prisoners tried to escape.Show Details
This was not the only fire. In 1837 fire destroyed the wheelwright, painters' and joiners' shops along with the contents. They were rebuilt. Several shops were burned by another fire in 1841, and again, in 1850 but each time the buildings were reconstructed.