Item 27175 - John Paine House, Thomaston, ca. 1950
- Item 27175 - John Paine House, Thomaston, ca. 1950
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27175
- 4254px x 3297px - 14.2"w x 11.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
John Paine (1763-1841) built this house after he arrived in Thomaston in 1805.Show Details
The town center at Mill Creek held little room for expanding business at that time so he established his business at the Upper Corner at the intersection of Wadsworth Street and Old County Road (Route One). On January 9, 1805 Henry Knox sold six acres of land above the Georges River to Paine for $500.
Here he built a large Federal-style house with massive chimneys. Interior pictures taken before the house was destroyed by fire in the 1990s show heavy moldings and trim used extensively throughout the house.
Paine could look from his house to his wharf below, where he carried on extensive trading with his own vessels. Other tradesmen set up shop in the area after his arrival.
Paine's store stood on the site of the present Prison Store.
The ruins of the house may still be seen on the hill above the river to the west of Ship Street.