- Item 27167 - Methodist Church, Thomaston, ca. 1871
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27167
- 3353px x 4198px - 11.2"w x 14.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
As with many other religious groups, the Methodist congregation started meeting in other buildings, first a schoolhouse and then Stiimpson Hall. This early church building with a high three-tiered steeple and single front entry was completed and dedicated August 19, 1858. The land was purchased by Nathan Hatch and Nathaniel Moody.Show Details
The church, weakened by the heavy tower and steeple, was replaced in 1896 with a new building, which stands on Hyler Street on the original foundation. The house on the right side of the photo was used as a parsonage and was later moved to a site on Gleason Street.