- Item 27161 - Second Baptist Church, Thomaston, ca. 1871
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27161
- 3703px x 3900px - 12.3"w x 13.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
In 1836 the pastor and a large group of church members decided to build a church at the corner of the County Road and the road leading to Green’s Wharf (Green Street). Land was purchased from John Elliot, and Deacon Joseph Catland was made chairman of the committee to draw up plans for the church. Joel Miller and Abner Rice, both deacons, served on the committee, and William Singer was treasurer. Nathan was master builder.Show Details
It was a beautiful structure, completed at a cost of $12,000 in 1837, and there was a fine clock in the steeple. This was called the Second Baptist Church in Thomaston.