- Item 27160 - Georges River toward former tollbridge, Thomaston, 1946
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27160
- 4800px x 2965px - 16.0"w x 9.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
A view looking northwest up the Georges River from the southwest shore. The old Coal Bin stands on the right, former buildings used by Dunn and Elliot while in the coal business. Prior to Dunn and Elliot ownership, the property was long used as a shipyard by Burgess and O'Brien. This was for many years the main wharf used for trading in the town. Lyman Morse Boatbuilding Company now owns the property.Show Details
The steel bridge, at one time a wooden toll bridge from Wadsworth Street in Thomaston to the Cushing Road, was at one time a draw bridge but is now fixed.
The old State Prison, which formerly stood at the intersection of Wadsworth and Main Streets (Route One) appears on the upper right. The prison was removed in 2002, and the property is owned by Thomaston residents. The town plans to develop the land in a manner in keeping with the character and scale of the 19th century village.