- Item 26662 - Prison Brooms to the Train Depot, Thomaston, 1915
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26662
- 4653px x 3023px - 15.5"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
A cart load delivery of newly made brooms is on route from the prison workrooms on county road (West Main Street) down Knox Street to the railroad depot for shipment by rail. Prison work programs produced brooms, harnesses, carriages and wagons to help defray prisoner expenses.Show Details
This view was taken within days of the disastrous 1915 fire that destroyed the Watts Block, the Telegraph Block, the Knox Hotel and William Catland's livery stable, where the fire started. Behind the horse-drawn cart are the foundation ruins of the Watts Block. Plate glass windows are still missing in some of the Union Block businesses on the north side of the street.
Dr. Crockett's house containing his office is on the left side of the photograph and was spared through the efforts of the hose company.