- Item 26653 - Railroad workers at memorial tablet, Thomaston, ca. 1914
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26653
- 4226px x 3299px - 14.1"w x 11.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
A memorial tablet was placed near the site of the original Montpelier, the estate of General Henry Knox on Knox Street by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1903. The original mansion was razed by the Knox and Lincoln Railroad Co. in 1871.Show Details
This is a candid view of railroad workers gathered around the boulder. They are unidentified, Charles Starrett, Ansel Glidden, Burt Hall, and Joe [last name unknown].
The boulder may be seen on the grounds of the Thomaston Historical Society and the Knox Farmhouse on lower Knox Street, just north of the railroad tracks. The farmhouse served as a railroad depot from 1871 until 1956 when train service was discontinued.