- Item 26639 - J. A. Creighton Store, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26639
- 4276px x 3245px - 14.3"w x 10.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
In 1859 the Creighton firm succeeded the firm of E.W.Robinson and Co., and in 1869 Captain Creighton took full charge of the business. In the 1890s the partners were Captain Creighton and his sons, John H. and Charles A. Creighton.Show Details
Captain Creighton was born in Warren in 1821 and married Emily Meservey. Early in life he went to sea and became a successful captain. For some years, he built ships with Captain Harvey Mills, not far from the site of his store near the base of Knox Street.
In the last decade of the 19th century, business activities included quarrying and manufacture of lime, the operation of a grist mill and general store. The firm owned horses and wagons by which the rock was brought from the Creighton quarries to the kilns at the bottom of Knox Street. The lime was shipped in casks to NY in the firm’s six vessels. The kilns had a capacity of 150,000 casks a year and manufactured about 600 casks/day.