- Item 26623 - The Overlock House, Thomaston, ca. 1960
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26623
- 4200px x 3413px - 14.0"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
James Overlock, builder of many Thomaston houses, purchased this lot on Knox Street in November 1854 and built this house. He moved his family here from an earlier house he built on the west side of the street.Show Details
In the 1850s, the long lane leading from Main Street to General Knox's estate at the foot of Knox Street was opened, and land bordering the lane was offered for development. Many up and coming shipbuilders and ship owners perceived this as a desirable location and grabbed the opportunity to build in such a desirable neighborhood.
Overlock owned a successful lumber supply house in the rear of the property and carried on a successful business here for many years.
Caroline Street was laid out as a street to the south of the house, but was never used.