- Item 26622 - O'Brien and Ruggles Houses, Thomaston, ca. 1960
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26622
- 4219px x 3371px - 14.1"w x 11.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
The house on the left was built circa 1827 by the Honorable John O’Brien, brother of shipbuilder Edward O’Brien.Show Details
John O’Brien had a marble mill on Meadow Brook with showrooms at Crick Village, the original town center at Mill River. At one time he served as warden for the Maine State Prison. He lived here with his wife, Mary Ann George, sister of Mrs. Ruggles, and their two children, Edward K. and Eli Merrill O’Brien.
The house on the right was built by John Ruggles in 1827. Mr. Ruggles came to Thomaston in 1818 and established a law office at the “Crick.” He served in the legislature and Congress, and as United States Senator, he initiated the legislation that created the reorganized Patent Office. He held Patent Number One and due to his work, he is known as the “Father of the U.S. Patent Office.
He was also judge of the Maine Supreme Court and was one of Thomaston’s most prominent citizens. His wife was Margaret George, sister of Mary Ann George O’Brien, who lived in the house to the west.
The Ruggles House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.