- Item 26621 - The Daniel Morse House, Thomaston, ca. 1960s
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26621
- 4203px x 3392px - 14.0"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
This house was built around 1845 by Daniel Morse on land purchased from Benjamin Bussey. The house sits on Gleason Street, directly behind the Thomaston Academy building on East Main Street.Show Details
Daniel manufactured lime with Aaron Austin in kilns on the western side of Mill River not far from the railroad bridge. He married Jane Austin and died in 1891.
Some years ago, former town historian F. L. S. Morse, pointed out the remains of an old foundation lying to the west of the house. He suggested this may have been from the old Benjamin Bussey barn. He also suggested that it might have been the remains of the old barn previously built for the Native Americans to use while trading in the area.