- Item 25831 - Boats Near Factory Island, Saco, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Dyer Library/Saco Museum
- Item 25831
- 5280px x 3184px - 17.6"w x 10.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Dyer Library/Saco Museum
A three-masted schooner and the steamboat S.E. Spring. The boats were moored at a wharf on the lower side of Indian Island, also known as Cutts Island. The island is now called Factory Island and is only four miles away from the Atlantic Ocean, located within the Saco River.Show Details
The S. E. Spring was launched July 1, 1881, at the George Russell yard at East Deering. Gross tons: 154.83, net tons, 83.56; 93.7 ft. x 19 ft. x 4.8 ft. One deck, round stern, a plain head. Her first captain was Daniel Goldthwait who brought her down from Portland to Saco. At the end of the 1890 tourist season, the excursions ended. She was run by the Old Orchard Steamboat Company.