- Item 25615 - Milk Street Armory, Portland, 1898
- Contributed by Maine Maritime Museum
- Item 25615
- 5653px x 3974px - 18.8"w x 13.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Maritime Museum
A parade sending troops off to the Spanish-American War outside the Portland Armory, the building where they were trained.Show Details
The Maine National Guard built the Armory on Milk Street in 1895.
Mayor James P. Baxter proclaimed that the site was chosen because, "The possession of quarters in a prominent place, where the men would always be under the public eye, would be the means of improving the morale of the force."