- Item 25606 - Portland-South Portland bridge, ca. 1890
- Contributed by Maine Maritime Museum
- Item 25606
- 5696px x 3780px - 19.0"w x 12.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Maritime Museum
Originally built in 1822, this bridge allowed easy access between Portland and South Portland across the Fore River.Show Details
Until 1851, pedestrians paid two cents and horses six cents to cross the bridge. Military personnel at forts Preble and Williams crossed for free.
The bridge was repaired and rebuilt many times. It was known as the "gridiron of death" because of its dangerous intersection at the Portland end.
It was replaced in 1916 by the "Million Dollar Bridge."