- Item 24017 - Staff of Biddeford Telephone Exchange, ca. 1900
- Contributed by McArthur Public Library
- Item 24017
- 4786px x 3284px - 16.0"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of McArthur Public Library
Around 1900 the Biddeford Telephone Exchange was located on an upper floor of what is now 156 Main Street, Biddeford.Show Details
The "Biddeford & Saco Telephone Exchange" was established about 1880, at which time there were only 35 phones in both cities.
Miss Eva H. Bent was manager until about 1895, then Mrs. Amy E. Briggs served until about 1899. She was succeeded by Dean J. Tolman.
The exchange moved to the Biddeford Journal Building at City Square in 1908.
In the photo, from left, are Thomas Quint, assistant lineman; Frank Goodwin, lineman (later manager); Dean Tolman, manager; Mrs. Luther Day, bookkeeper; and the operators, Miss Zora Seavey, Mrs. Walter Robbins, Miss Mary Aitken, Mrs. Ned (Lillian Dean) Chadbourne, and Mrs. Abraham Kay.